Thursday, April 27, 2023




                                                    
                                                In progress
 


The inspiration behind this work stems from my curiosity witht forms that I had been puzzled by in nature. How is one form in nature able to look so organic and then another appears to be almost mechanical? There seems to be a pattern with design in nature where there are similar shapes in the trees, in the leaves, in the ground, through the water, everywhere. These lines, rings, and designs that I’ve seen in the wild, I wanted to connect with my idea of mechanics and intertwine them. To portray this I would use wood and lights and play with perspective so that viewers would have to look within. I began by taking pieces of wood and cutting them into squares, and then would slowly sand and make cuts into each piece. These pieces I would form into different circles, all with their own thickness, textures, colors, and circumference. I was interested in seeing how forming the pieces in different ways would look as if the wood would be moving.  Once I found a place where every wood piece seemed to connect together in a lifelike, but also mechanical way, I glued them in place. I then put lights within that would interact with the wood, the room itself, and the viewer. The lights illuminate the wood, orange tones peek through the thinner wood and through the cracks. The wood changes with the lighting and appears to be alive. This sparks curiosity in the viewer and will lead them to look inside to find the different edges and curves and how the light interacts with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crystal Ball  silicon, plaster, wood, paint  Thinking back on the items that sat in the same place on the shelves, unmoved and  unnoticed in...